Google Ads has updated its policy for when ads are disapproved. Beginning in June 2022, online adverts will have to comply with a three-strikes principle. If you’re an advertiser with Google Ads, it’s likely that you’ve already been hit by a disapproved ad once or twice.
It’s becoming a lot more difficult to appeal disapprovals without the help of someone from Google than it used to be.
Google has announced that they will strictly enforce violations which took place as of June 2022.
Google issues strikes to your Google Ads account when they detect violations of certain policies. To clarify, strikes are penalized based on a number of policies. The list includes: spammy ads, Invalid redirects and exits, Unnatural links
- Compensated sexual acts
- Mail-order brides
- Misleading ad design
- Bail bond services
- Call Directories, forwarding services
- Credit repair services
- Binary options
- Personal loans
Your Google Ads account will receive up to three strikes for violating certain policies. With each strike applied, penalties will progressively escalate.
How Strikes Work
On your account’s first and second violations, your account will be temporarily suspended
- First Strike: 3-day temporary hold
- Second Strike: 7-day temporary hold
You will be suspended on your third account violation
The strikes are account-specific, not MCC-specific.
How Strikes Are Communicated
If you are notified by email when Google warns or suspends your account, you will receive the email to set up alerts.
A notification will also trigger in the interface of your account if there is a warning or strike.
How to Respond When You Get a Strike or a Suspension
If your account is temporarily disabled, you must first correct any problems before it can be reopened. A letter of acknowledgment will also be required.
According to the Google assistance document, by filling out this form, you are accepting the following:
- You are aware of the specific policy or policies that resulted in a strike being placed on the account, have reviewed the relevant policies, and realize that further violations of these standards can result in more severe action, including account closure.
- You have eliminated the assets and advertisements that break our rules, and you will make certain that any future assets and advertisements comply with them.
- It’s strictly prohibited to create extra accounts or attempt to get around Google’s policy enforcement. Account termination may result.
If you believe that you have not broken any rules, you can submit an appeal form, which may be found here.
If your appeal is granted, the strike will be removed from your account and the account hold will be lifted right away.